Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tues June 7, 2011

I actually woke up to watch the game and they lost 8-1 L Oh well, it was predicted they would lose, so we’ll have to come back strong next game! After the game I had a nap, and not a good one at that so I was pretty tired all day. Today I started another assignment and worked on booking my safari for the end of June! I think I’m going to do Serengeti with the rest of the group, so I’m super excited! We can get a really good rate if we all go together and apparently Serengeti is the best place to see the Big 5 of Tanzania (lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard, and rhino) as well as many other animals including zebras and giraffe’s. Also if we all go together the cost of transportation to and from the safari will be cheaper. We’re going to go on the safari and then stay in Arusha for 4 days before we head back to Dar.

I’m thinking about maybe doing one of my literature reviews on gender equality in Tanzania and today I found this really interesting article in a local Dar newspaper, The Citizen, called “Project Tembo working to empower Tanzanian women”. Job opportunities and education in Tanzania remain limited for women, with many women dropping out or not pursuing secondary school because they marry early and have children. An Ottawa based charity, called Project Tembo, is working towards empowering girls and women to achieve further education. So far, they have sponsored 128 girls to go to secondary school. They also host residential camps to help secondary school girls with their English and boost self-confidence. Secondary school is completely taught in English, therefore presenting challenges for many students whose English is often their 2nd or 3rd language. Project Tembo has opened the Longido Community Library to make books available to children in Swahili and English, and provides micro-finance loans and micro-business opportunities for women. Without Canadian supporters and volunteers, Project Tembo would not be able to continue operating in Tanzania. Some of the fundraising they do include plant and used book sales, an African marketplace, luncheon, silent auction, and Tanzanian delicacies.
Cute picture I took the other day at Boona Baana!

Went to bed super early tonight as I wasn’t feeling good, sore throat plus stomach ache L Not fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment