Thursday, May 19, 2011

Two new firsts


Today was my first Swahili lesson with one of teachers, Deo. He taught me so much today and I absolutely love the language and want to learn as much as I can. The words sound the same as they are spelt, which makes it a bit easier to learn. Some of the main sayings that are important to know that we learned are "How are you" which is "Hujambo" then you reply "Sijambo". To say "Whats the news of the morning?" you would say "Habari za asubuhi?" and "thank you very much" is "Asante sana". Later in the day Jodi, Kara, and I went to the boona baana home which will be our placement for the rest of the time here. We will be volunteering there on Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays. The kids are amazing there, they have one main adult figure which they call their Mama, but they are basically on there own for most of the day when they are not at school. There are seven kids who live at the home permanently, but today we have a community book club at the home so there were around 30 kids altogether of all ages. Being here will help me with my Swahili for sure and I think us being there will help them with their English. Before I got here, Kara and Jodi and some other interns helped the kids paint their door green. I can't wait to go back there and get to know the kids better! Kwaheri (goodbye) for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment