Saturday, May 28, 2011

Wed May 25 – KidzCare

http://kidzcaretz.org/
Please check out their website and send to anyone you know that would like to help these amazing kids! They are truly resilient and in only spending two days with them have changed me in ways I can’t explain. They can also dance and sing better than anyone I have ever met J

We left bright and early for KidzCare again today! I was excited to see their smiling faces and to know that no matter what I would have a great day. Normally the older kids are at school in the morning when we arrive so we go to the primary school and help teach the younger kids English, but to our surprise all the kids were home from school today! There are two sets of twins who live here, one set are two boys and the other are a boy and a girl. (I don’t include names for privacy reasons, not sure if this is protocol but just in case I thought it would be best just to leave all names out). The boy and girl were born with club feet and are currently in the middle of getting them corrected, so they both have a cast on one of their legs. We managed to find a felt pen and the four of us who went today each drew a picture on their casts. After each one of us drew, they both would laugh and they were smiling the whole time, nothing seems to get them down. Unfortunately, the boy’s foot was bleeding under his cast because his wound had opened so Mary, the owner of KidzCare took him to the hospital to get it checked out.

It rained on and off today so when we could we were outside. Mary said it hasn’t rained here during the rainy season for two years, so she is thankful there has been so much rain this time. The kids taught us a dance today and it was really fun, even though they are 100X better at dancing than we were! In the middle of the day all the kids got really tired, as well as two of the interns (haha) and they all fell asleep, except for me, another intern, and a few of the kids. One little girl who was six years old was awake with me and we were laughing and taking pictures of the two interns sleeping on the couch and then she went and got some books and we sat on the couch for over an hour straight and I taught her some English. I was so impressed with her determination and dedication to learn English words, she was trying so hard and doing really well! These kids are very smart and they have this desire to learn, it made my day because it wasn’t me trying to push it on her to read, but her who initiated the whole thing. I don’t know but I think it meant a lot to her to have some one on one time with me and for me to just focus on her for an hour or so. There are usually always so many other kids around so it’s hard to get one on one time, therefore I’m glad we got to and hopefully will get chances to do the same with some of the other kids when I go back.





No comments:

Post a Comment